Download the Winterization Checklist.
With winter right around the bend, its a great time to get your home ready for the cold weather. Below are Doug’s 13 tips for the winter season.
- Check your roof for loose and missing shingles.
- Clean your gutters and remove all the dirt and grime. You may need to clean them a few times before the snow starts falling.
- Make sure your gutter downspouts are clear and not blocked by any landscaping changes you may have made this year.
- While you are on a ladder, double check the light bulbs for your spotlights.
- Remove your window AC units, just covering them or turning off does not work. Leaving a window ac installed will cause cold air to enter your home, increasing your heating bill.
- Remove your window screens and store them for next year.
- Check your exterior door weather stripping. You want a good seal to prevent cold air leaks.
- Take your garden hose inside.
- Check your dryer vent to make sure it is clear and free of obstructions.
- Check your washer hoses and make sure there are no leaks. We suggest changing the hoses every 5 years whether it looks like it needs it or not.
- Change your smoke detector batteries.
- Change your filters – Water and HVAC.
- Get your furnace serviced to give you the best efficiency possible.
Listen to Doug from WBA talk to Gary-O at WINY about his winterization tips.